New Years Resolutions

New-Years-ResolutionNew Year’s Resolutions

A week ago I stumbled upon a Facebook status, which made me laugh, but at the same time got me thinking about this whole NEW YEARS RESOLUTIONS tradition, goal attainment and the nature of human beings. The munched screenshot read as follows:

“What do you intend to do in the New Year?

My goal for 2014 is to accomplish the goals of 2013 which I should have done in 2012, because I promised them in 2011 and planned in 2010.”

50eade809d4a2.image

The above is funny alright, but there is much more to it than just mere humor. Whether we call them resolutions, goals or promises, we have all have made them at some point in our lives. The question is, do we follow-up on these promises, resolutions or whatever you want to call them and finally attain them? The interesting question is; how many people accomplish their resolutions? And what is the success rate?

I went out and did a bit of googling on the inter-webs and found out on Wikipedia about a study that was done in 2007 by Richard Wiseman from the University of Bristol. The study involving 3,000 people showed that 88% of those who set New Year resolutions fail, despite the fact that 52% of the study’s participants were confident of success at the beginning.”

It goes on to say that “Men achieved their goal 22% more often when they engaged in goal setting, (a system where small measurable goals are being set; such as, a pound a week, instead of saying “lose weight”), while women succeeded 10% more when they made their goals public and got support from their friends”.

13If the percentage of New Year’s Resolutions being a failure is 88 %, that means the other 12 % succeed. How do they do it and what is their secret? Well I’m sure it’s all about discipline, diligence and perseverance. If we are honest with ourselves and continually seek to improve ourselves, surely we will overcome this years list as well.

I sure want to be part of the elite 12% who will succeed at their resolutions this year. It won’t be easy, it won’t feel so great working at them, but if you and I create a long term plan that has sub detailed plans within it, surely we will overcome.